Benadryl to the Rescue

I’ve posted previously about our chocolate lab, Laila, here.  Well, we didn’t make it very long before she was post worthy again.  We made it a little over a month with a healthy girl.  When Paul and I went to bed Sunday night she was happy and healthy.  When I woke up on Monday morning to this face, I’m sure you can imagine my surprise.

image (1)

Check out the snout on that girl!! She looks like she might as well be a cartoon dog like Goofy or something! (sorry for how dark it was – but it was 6:30 in the morning). I immediately freak out, I do not do well when there may be something wrong with people/animals I love… God help me when Paul and I have actual children.  I woke Paul up and I started taking pictures and giving Laila Benadryl… AGAIN!  My friend’s brother is a vet, so I wanted to document everything so she could get some insight from him. Lo and behold – the vet says she is having an allergic reaction and it probably isn’t necessary to take her in unless it kept getting worse or she started puking, etc.  This made me feel better, but as Laila’s swelling went down, her hives came out.

image image (1)

This poor girl just can’t catch a break!


Luckily, the swelling in her snout has gone done.  Now we just have to wait out the hives!  We are pretty sure she got bit by something this time, and unless something seriously changes in her condition she won’t be making a vet visit this time.  Paul keeps joking that we are going to have to drop her off with his parents in Virginia next week until the Florida summer has passed and the bugs/plants are gone so she can safely return home… This is not happening.  She’s my protector when he’s gone!

So almost 1 month to the day – Laila has made her second blog appearance… and not for the best reasons!  Paul and I are hoping she will be back to normal by Thursday before we leave for Tampa on Friday!

Doggy Parenting Fail

Paul and I have 3 dogs that are our babies… until we have real ones eventually.  Unfortunately, Laila is not feeling so hot right now, and I can’t help but feel dog mom guilt over it.  Let me start by saying that Laila is a chocolate lab and they usually have sensitive skin.  It seems like almost every month Laila has a rash of some sort and we are giving her benedryl until it heals and goes away.  We have NO idea where these rashes come from or how severe they will be because each time it is different.


We were told she was allergic to fleas.  We never miss a dose of flea medicine.   We were told it was her shampoo.  We switched to trusty Dawn which is safe on animals.  There has to be something in our backyard she is reacting to and our only thought is poison ivy.  Regardless of how many times our vet tells us that dogs cannot get poison ivy – I still don’t believe them.  Maybe it’s because they can’t seem to give me an answer.  Or maybe it’s because I just need to know the cause of the rashes so I can prevent them and I created my own theory.


Last week Laila came down with one of these “rashes”.  We proceeded like normal giving her medicine while we waited it out.  We then dropped her off at a friend’s house while we went on vacation for the weekend.  We checked on her periodically and the report was the same each time.  Still itchy and swollen but she was fine.  We picked her up on Sunday and the report was again the same.  She was still itchy and swollen, but nothing much had changed.  Then we gave her a bath.


During her bath, Paul went to wash her head and noticed how swollen her ear was.  Her big ol’ floppy ear was thick, swollen and heavy.  The inside of her ear is completely torn up.  We immediately decided she had to make a visit to the vet.  As soon as they opened today, I called to get her in.  At this point we swore it was poison ivy from our backyard.  The vet claims otherwise.  They determined that Laila has a bacterial infection on her snout and stomach, and a yeast infection in her ear.  She is “reacting to her environment… maybe pollen” according to our vet.  I think the pollen reason is bologna, but we don’t have much else to go off of.  I just know she is miserable.

So now we have our own personal pharmacy to get our girl back to normal and hopefully relieve some of her itching.   I’m hoping it works really quickly, because if I have to look at this poor little face and swollen ear (that she can’t even hold up)  much longer the guilt is going to crush me.